Presenting ownCloud-RaspberryPi v0.1
What is ownCloud-RaspberryPi?
If you have a Raspberry Pi then you can run ownCloud on it easily. I have a ready to install image for Raspberry Pi based on Raspbian Wheezy (Release 2013-07-26).
- PHP execution time is increased to 60 seconds.
- Default upload limit of PHP is increased from 2M to 500M.
- .htaccess support is enabled in Apache to protect data directory.
- SSH access is enabled by default.
- SQLite is used for backend database.
Okay. It all sounds good. How do I use it?
Just follow the steps below and you’ll be good to go in no time:
- Download the archived image from in either zip format (usually for Windows) or gunzip format (usually for Linux and Unix like platforms)
Since I am running on Linux, I would download gunzip format.
- Extract it and put it on a SD card using dd or any other tool or command. Check out this article on elinux if you need any help for this. Although 2 GB SD card would be fine but I would recommend using 4 GB or more.
I would run the following commands:
$ gunzip owncloud-raspberrypi-0.1.img.gz # to extract the gz archive
$ sudo dd bs=1M if=owncloud-raspberrypi-0.1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 # to write to the SD card. /dev/mmcblk0 can be obtained by the output of df command.
- Put this SD card in your Raspberry Pi and boot. The default credentials are:
- Run raspi-config and follow the directions to expand the filesystem to enjoy maximum disk space. Reboot, if required.
- Run ifconfig to get the ip address of the Raspberry Pi.
That is it. Just open http://<ip_address>/owncloud and create the admin user and explore ownCloud on Raspberry Pi.
ownCloud looks great. I want to know more about it.
I am happy that you liked ownCloud. Check out ownCloud’s community website at ownCloud.org.
You can also buy Getting Started with ownCloud written by me. It talks from basic setup of ownCloud for hobby or personal use to scaling it for enterprise usage supporting very large number of users along with backups, disaster recovery, security and LDAP/AD integration.
Share and Enjoy